A weekly communication to families of VCS
May 13, 2013 Issue 32
VCS 2012-2013 Theme Verse
May the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14
Employment Opportunities: Valley Christian Schools is accepting applications for the following positions. For details and to download an application, see www.vcschools.org/employment.
- Full-Time High School Receptionist - The workday is typically 8 am - 4:30 pm following the school calendar. Compensation and Benefits: Hourly pay based on qualifications and experience, pension plan, personal, sick and holiday pay. This position does not qualify for health insurance benefits.
- Full-Time High School Science teacher with an emphasis in Biology
- Full-Time High School Spanish teacher
- Part-Time Instrumental Music Administrative Assistant Intern
Invite your friends to join us at the Middle School for an Admissions Information Tour on Tuesday, 5/14 at 7 pm.
The VCS Community is invited to a parenting and technology workshop presented by the VCMS Tech team entitled "Raising Responsible Kids in a Digital World." Come and learn what’s happening in the digital world and receive technology helps for the home. Join us Monday, 5/20 at 7 pm at the Middle School Chapel.
Join us at the annual Swingin' the Night Away fundraiser on Friday, 5/17 at the VCHS Chapel beginning at 7 pm. The event is hosted by the Valley Christian Band and Orchestra Parents' Association. Join us for Swing Dancing, great music performed by our VCMS & VCHS Jazz Bands, dessert, beverages and door prizes. Tickets for door prizes are available at the event. You may also purchase $5.00 Opportunity Drawing Tickets from any Jazz Band student for four (4) Disneyland 1-Day Park Hopper Tickets.
- Parent Service Hour Opportunity - Listen to great music while you work at Swingin' the Night Away on Friday, 5/17 from 5:30 - 10 pm. Contact Suzanne Shelton at 562-809-2635 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can help! Parents Association is looking for 10 or more volunteers to help in the 2013-14 school year. Please see the list of open volunteer positions on the Parents Assocation webpage. Contact Shelly Hinton at PA@vcschools.org for more information. Meetings are the second Tuesday of every month at 7 pm during the school year.
The next Parents' Association T-shirt and Sweatshirt sale will be held at the Art Show at the elementary campus on Thursday, 5/16 from 6 to 8 pm.
- VCHS Vocal Department Concert - Tuesday, 5/21 at 7:30 pm at New Life Community Church, 18800 Norwalk Blvd in Artesia. You will hear beautiful sounds of gospel, and classical pieces, and enjoy special performances from alumni. We are also very excited to record our first Valley Live Gospel CD. Come out and have a great time with us. We are going to sing praises unto the Lord and invite you to join us.
- All Band Night - Wednesday, 5/29 at 7:00 pm at New Life Community Church, 18800 Norwalk Blvd in Artesia. The concert will feature Valley Christian students from 5th to 12th grade.
- All Orchestra and Handbell night - Thursday, 5/30 at 7:00 pm at New Life Community Church, 18800 Norwalk Blvd in Artesia. The concert will feature Valley Christian students from 5th to 12th grade.
Parents and the VCS community are invited to give blood at the VCHS Red Cross Blood Drive hosted by the Interact Club on Tuesday, 5/21, 8:30 am - 2:30 pm in the VCHS Chapel. Check in at the VCHS office anytime on Tuesday. Parent service hours will be given.
Save the Date: On Saturday, December 14 at 7:30 pm, VCS will host Comedian Tim Hawkins at SeaCoast Grace Church. See www.vcschools.org/timhawkins for a preview and to purchase tickets.
Check out eBooks from your public library: All students of Valley Christian can obtain a free library card at the Cerritos Library. You may install OverDrive Media Console on your digital device or home computer and download eBooks or audiobooks you check out. Stop by any VCS Library for information on obtaining a Cerritos Library card or find out how to install OverDrive on your iPad, eReader, or other compatible electronic device.
You are invited to a Community Fundraiser for VCS Robotics hosted by Cerritos Penske Buick GMC on Saturday, 5/25 from 11 am to 1 pm. $5 tickets for lunch are available in campus offices and at the event.
This year's 2nd Time Around Used Uniform Sale will be held on Saturday, 6/15 from 8 am to 12 noon in the Valley Christian High School Gym. Download this year's flier for more information. You may drop off any VCS uniforms or uniform accessories on Thursday, June 13, from 12 noon - 6 pm at the high school gym. All articles of clothing must have the True Grits label.
- Many volunteers are needed to assist with the sale. To help with uniform collection on Thursday, 6/13, the sale on Saturday, 6/15, or to work from home preparing tags and other items, please contact Charlene at email@example.com or 714/404-8668.
Chapel will be at 8:45 am on Friday, 5/17.
Summer Session: Please respond to Ms. Audrey at 562/263-3030 and let her know if your currently enrolled child will be attending the Fun-In-The-Son 8-week summer session being held on our Park Church Campus this summer. The last day of preschool for both campuses is Thursday, 6/13. There will be a preparation week break from June 17-21 before the Summer session begins on June 24. The Infant Center will remain open during that week.
Congratulations to the students who were recognized in chapel last week: Cristian Bonilla, Casey Bouma, Luke Garcia, Madison Rabideaux, Armando Ramirez, Tanisha Singjanoosong.
The VCES Talent Show for Grades 1-6 will be held on Thursday, 5/23 at 6:30 pm at the High School Chapel. Entry forms were sent home with students and are due to the elementary office before the end of the school day on Tuesday, 5/14.
Sports Day will be Tuesday, June 11.
- Hot lunch will be available. Forms were sent home with students and are due to the elementary office by Monday, 5/20.
- Volunteers - Anyone who would like to volunteer to work this fun day with the elementary kids may e-mail Jon Slager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Service hours will be given and a lunch will be provided for all who volunteer.
VCS K-8 Sizzling Summer Day Camp Registration packets are available in the Elementary Office. The registration fee is $60 per child. The camp fills up quickly, so don't miss out on a great summer program for your child.
- 1st grade field trip to a Dairy in Chino: 5/13
- KCC field trip to Santa Ana Zoo: 5/14
- Art Festival and Ice Cream Social: 5/16 from 6 to 8 pm
- Kindergarten Harbor Cruise field trip: 5/21
Invite your friends to the Middle School Admission Tour on Tuesday, 5/14 at 7 pm.
Progress report grades will be posted by Friday, 5/17.
Washington D.C. Trip - Our last parent meeting for the Washington D.C./East Coast trip is on Tuesday, 5/28 at 4:20 pm in the Middle School chapel. We will discuss packing lists, roommates, drop-off and pick-up times, and other trip details. If you can't attend, please notify Mr. Huisman via email at email@example.com
7th Graders: Auditions for next year's 8th Grade Praise Team will be held 5/21 - 5/24, from 3-5 pm. Sign-up in room 1 for your 15-minute audition. We are looking for singers, instrumentalists, and techies! See Mr. Noteboom for more details.
8th Graders: See the VCHS section for audition information for the VCHS Praise Team.
- Tuesday, May 14 - Handbell choir to Knott’s Berry Farm
- Friday, May 24 - 7th grade talent show
- Wednesday, May 29 - Band Concert
- Thursday, May 30 - CSL track meet
- Thursday, May 30 - Orchestra and Handbell Concert
- Friday, May 31 - 8th Grade Crystal Cove field trip
- Wednesday, June 5 - Women’s Ensemble Concert
- Monday, June 10 - Disneyland
- Wednesday, June 12 - 8th grade graduation
- Thursday, June 13 - 7th grade dismissed at noon
iPad Parent Meeting: We are looking forward to the implementation of iPad learning at VCHS next year. Come to an important parent meeting on the evening of Thursday, May 30 or Tuesday, June 4 for all the details. More information will be mailed home next week.
Students interested in taking a driver's education class in June may contact the high school office for more information.
Auditions for next year's VCHS Praise Team will be held 5/23-5/24 from 3-6 pm in the high school music room. E-mail Mr. Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Europe Trip Meeting: Come to an informational meeting at 5:00 pm (not 7 pm as originally scheduled) on Tuesday, 5/21 in Room 10 if you are interested in learning more about a trip to Ireland, Scotland, and England the summer of 2014. If you're unable to attend but would like information, please e-mail Rebecca Snoeyink at email@example.com.
Still need service hours? Grad Night is looking for chaperones on 6/14 from 11 pm until 4 am. You will get credit for double the hours you serve and you can use your hours towards next year! Call Vonda at 562-355-9380 for more information.
- Our new “Scrip year” has begun. Ask your family and friends to get involved and see how much your rebate can increase. When purchasing your gas, grocery, retail and food cards, your rebate adds up quickly and it will help reduce your tuition!
- May is Teacher Appreciation Month. Purchase your teacher's favorite restaurant or retail gift card from Scrip.
- New: $25 Jiffy Lube, $25 Black Angus, $25 Subway and Costco—you may use American Express for your purchase - $500, $100 & $25 available.
- “Live” Sales: Our office hours are every Tuesday and Thursday from 8-9:30 am at VCMS. Drop off orders at VCES, VCMS and the Business Office every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday by 9am and your order will be returned to the campus office for students to bring home that day.
- School Cents: Only 3 days left! May 15 is the last day to log your receipts from Cerritos, Lakewood, or Stonewood Centers. Thank you to all who have participated in this beneficial program. The cash award is used to buy materials for all three VCS Libraries.
- For more School Cents information, visit the VCS School Cents webpage, ask a school librarian, or e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to a concert by the Celebration Choir of Emmanuel Church at 15941 Virginia Ave, in Paramount on 5/19, at 6 pm. The concert is called Songs from "The Story" and will feature original music written for the choir by Bob Olson. Special guests will be the 3Brass Trio under the direction of Peter Connell. Starting from Genesis, through Revelation, you will hear songs about the creation, Jericho, Moses, David, and many other heroes of the Bible. It's a concert for all generations and something that you'll want to share with your family and friends. Admission is free.
Reminder: Camp Dunamis camper registrations are available in the middle school and elementary school offices. They are also available for download. Campers must be entering 7th, 8th or 9th grade in the fall. For more information, visit campdunamis.org or contact Jen Visser at (562)866-5790 or Denise Tamminga at (562) 867-4569.
Spring Football Game: Join us on Friday, June 7 as VCHS coach Grayson is introduced, VCMS and VCHS teams play, and the Boosters Canteen will be open. Admission is free. See the flier for details.
Congratulations to the following Spring teams for winning a league championship:
- Girls Varsity Track
- Boys Varsity Golf
- Girls JV Track
- Boys Varsity Volleyball
- Boys JV Volleyball
Congratulations to the following track athletes for advancing to the CIF Finals on Saturday May 18 at Mt. Sac College.
- Girls 4 x 100 Relay - Rataeja Sholes, Anaya Wesley, Jahdai Dunk, and Alyx Henry
- Jahdai Dunk - 100 m
- Alex Fenderson - High Jump
- Rataeja Sholes - High Jump and 100 Hurdles
- Brian Cok - Long Jump, Triple Jump
- Bryce Mulder - Long Jump
Valley Christian High School athletic teams offer summer programs. Click on the links below for information, registration forms, and calendar. Teams not listed do not offer summer programs.