Valley Christian Weekly News
May 20, 2019 Issue 37Posted by Leann Bakker on 5/20/2019 3:00:00 PM
2018-2019 Theme Verse: "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15Our Spring Annual Fund is on now! Give Now! Please click here to read the letter from Brian Petteys, alumnus and our middle school principal. Then, prayerfully consider how you'll join Brian and our VC community as we come together for Valley Christian Schools.Prepaid Tuition - if you plan to prepay the 19/20 tuition by June 30, 2019, please refer to your tuition contract for the amount. We will not send a separate statement.Grade 5 - 8 Summer Robotics Camp is 6/17 - 6/21 at VCMS - Learn how to build and program a Lego Mindstorms EV3 robot! Students in grades 5 to 8 can participate in the beginning or advanced class. The beginning class is from 9:00 - 11:30 AM, the advanced class is from 1:00 - 3:30 PM. Click here to download the forms.Middle School Summer Jazz Camp is 7/29 - 8/2 at VCMS - The Middle School Jazz Camp is a fun opportunity for middle schoolers to play jazz music! No previous jazz experience needed. The camp runs from 7/29 to 8/2, 8:00 - 10:00 AM in the VCMS chapel. Students who want to take VCMS orientation classes should sign up for session 2 (10:30 AM - 12:30 PM) or Sessions 3 (3:30 - 5:30 PM) of the Orientation class. Click here to download the forms.VCS EPIC Robotz summer class applications were due 5/17. Classes will be in Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM), and Java Programming. Please see https://www.vcschools.org/summercamps. Email Paul DeVries @ email@example.com to register.Here is the link for the all summer camps.Valley Christian Schools Audit Committee - we are seeking qualified individuals to volunteer to serve on the school's Audit Committee. If interested, please contact Alice De Bruin at firstname.lastname@example.org.VCS Athletic Boosters needs you! We are in need of a canteen coordinator for this upcoming year, 2019-2020. Please contact Theresa Montenegro for more details at email@example.com or 714 319-8626.Volunteers needed to serve hot lunch on Sports Day, Tuesday, 5/21. Please contact Tracie Jones at 562-612-2340 if interested in helping. This is a great way to earn service hours!VCS Used Uniform Sale drop off days are Tuesday, 5/21 and Wednesday, 5/22 as well as 8/1 and 8/5. Here is the flier with more information and here is the label form. The Used Uniform sale will be on 8/5 and 8/6 in the Legacy Chapel on the High School campus.Ready for the summer? Want to do your service hours early? This is your chance! Please join us and volunteer for our annual Used Uniforms sale on 8/5 and 8/6. Click on the link to sign up volunteer to help.Volunteers needed on 8/5 - 8/6 for the 2019-2020 Book Sale and iPad Distribution. Complete your parent and student service hours before the school year even starts. Monday, 8/5 from 4:30 - 8:00 PM and Tuesday, 8/6 7:30 AM - 12:00 PM. Dinner will be provided on Monday evening. Contact Mrs. Bomgaars if you're interested, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 562-865-0281 x 240.Do you need service hours and have a heart for serving at Valley Christian? Parents' Association has many positions open. These positions are vital to the success of the services that Parents' Association provides not only to our students but also to our school families. The following positions are open for the 2019-20: Vice President, Co-Treasurer, High School Co-Chair, Middle School 8th Grade Chair and Co-Chair, Harvest Festival Chair, Kids' Boutique Coordinator, and T-shirt Co-chair and committee members. Position job descriptions are located here. We have an immediate need to fill the Harvest Festival Chair position. Please contact Denise Noble at email@example.com or her phone number in the school directory.Summer Voice Lessons - Mr. Goedhart will again be offering voice lessons on the high school campus during the summer months. If you are interested in weekly voice lessons or preparing for vocal auditions email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or (562) 865-0281 ext. 234. Special rate for VCS students.Job Opportunities at VCS - Find out more information on the website.
At the Board and Staff Social last week, milestone years of service at VCS were recognized. Join us in congratulating:
- Band Director - High School
- Paraeducator - Middle and High School
- Part-Time Art Teacher - Elementary School
- Discovery Center Teacher Assistant - Elementary School
- K-4 General Music & 6th Grade Choir Teacher - Elementary School
- Summer Day-Care Aide - Elementary Campus
- Math Teacher- High School
- Bus Driver
VCS School Board officers for 2019-2020 School Year:
- Retiring: Dianne Grasmeyer (25 yrs) Anita Haagsma (21 yrs) Linda Hamady (17 yrs) Robin Robison (23 yrs)
- 30 Years: Deborah Edwards, Nancy Winters
- 25 Years: John Evenhouse, Dianne Grasmeyer, Laura Pheifer, Jeff Westrup
- 20 Years: Priscilla Brown, Russel Doty, Doreen Kuyper, Kari Price, Sharon Zoetewey
- 15 Years: Carol Halma, Janet Hefley, Michael Huisman, Wayne Smiley, Rebecca Snoeyink, Jamie Stellingwerf
- 10 Years: Tracey Branderhorst, Sheryl Doornbos, Megan Kouwe, Deborah McWaters, Leah Slenk
- 5 Years: Onnie Bomgaars, Linda Duncan, Mary Struckmeier, John Ward
- Moving On: Claudia Bakker, Heidi Barnes, Josh Beaty, Jeannie Boykin, Megan Kouwe, Dan Noteboom, Leah Slenk, Mary Struckmeier, Lenee Struiksma, Liz Wagner, Josh Zumkehr
VCS Board highlights from the 5/15 meeting.SCRIP SUMMER HOURS: Thursdays 8:00 to 10:00 AM. Closed this Thursday 5/23, 7/11 and 7/18. Orders may be dropped off at the business office Monday - Friday.Use SCRIP this summer and turn your everyday purchases into everyday giving while earning more for your tuition rebate. To have SCRIP at the touch of your fingers, sign up with ShopWithScrip. Use the code 32718E315182 and this link to sign up. For the order form click here. Please contact Jade for more information at email@example.com or 562-865-4285.Dennis Uniforms is having an in store and online sale on Saturday, 7/27. Click here for flier.
- President: Brad Struiksma
- Vice-President: Carlos Espinosa
- Treasurer: Hector Montenegro
- Secretary: Kim Bouma
- Vicar: Ana Azevedo
End of the school year class parties will be on Thursday, 5/23! Check with your child's teacher for more details.Reminders to mark your calenders:
Thank you to all of our VCPS families that helped to make this a successful school year! The first day of fall classes will be Monday, 8/12.
- Last day of school is Thursday, 5/23 - half day with 11:30 AM dismissal
- School closed Friday, 5/24- Friday, 5/31
- Open for summer program Monday, 6/3 at the VCES Campus
Free Dress: Students are not required to wear uniforms this week Tuesday, 5/21 through Thursday, 5/23.Field trips:
The last day of school is Thursday, 5/23 with dismissal at 11:30 AM. Buses will run at 11:30 AM.Sports Day Volunteers: Please meet at the high school football field Tuesday, 5/21 at 8:30 AM to get your assignment for the day. Lunch and drinks are provided. You may want to bring a lawn chair if you don’t like sitting on the grass. The day should be over by 1:30 PM. Thanks again for helping make this day a success for our elementary students. Questions - email Jon Slager at firstname.lastname@example.org.Sports Day, will be Tuesday, 5/21. Students in Grades 1-6 will be going over to the high school to participate in the day's activities. Bus permission slips were sent home with students and need to be returned to your child's teacher.TK and Kindergarten student will remain at the elementary campus for their events.Volunteers needed to serve hot lunch on Sports Day, Tuesday, 5/21. Please contact Tracie Jones at 562-612-2340 if interested in helping. This is a great way to earn service hours!6th Grade Promotion on Thursday, 5/23: The Sixth Grade Blessing ceremony to celebrate the students that will be moving on to middle school will take place from 8:40 - 9:20 AM on the last day of school. Seating will be limited.All VC families are invited to learn more about the Multiage Classes. Multiage education is the practice of intentionally combining children of different ages and grade levels in a single classroom to realize academic and social benefits. VCES has two multiage classrooms, K- 3rd and 4th - 6th. If you want to know more about the unique learning environment in our multiage classes, you can click on this link to watch our video. During the school year a one hour tour of the multiage classrooms can be arranged. To arrange a tour or for more information, please contact Karen Garcia at 562-920-9902 or email Robin Carter at email@example.com. Space is limited.Hot Lunch Program: We are looking for a few volunteers to help serve hot lunch during lunchtime for the 2019-2020 school year. Service hours and lunch credits will apply. Please contact the Barbara Williams at 562-531-9525 for more information.Fundraiser Coordinator Needed: The Cookie Dough/Magazine Sale Fundraiser is in need of a coordinator for the 2019-20 school year. Service hours can be earned. Please call the school office, 562-920-9902, if interested.6th Grade Reminder: If your student will be attending VCMS next year, it is time to order your iPad. All iPad orders are due June 1st. If you order after 6/1, we cannot guarantee you will receive your iPad in time for the start of school. To see pricing and to order your iPad, visit www.vcschools.org/ipadorderIf your child has medication or an inhaler in the office, please remember to pick it up before summer break. We will dispose of anything left.Outstanding Balances? Please be sure to pay fines for tardy fees, library fines and/or if they lost a text book and return all books before the last day of school to the elementary office.6th grade parents - VCMS Orientation & Study Skills Camp is 7/29 – 8/2. Sign up for a summer class that will help your student discover the best ways to succeed through organization, time management, study strategies, and much more. This orientation is a great place to learn more about VCMS and meet new people before the year even begins. Students will master opening their locker and even get their schedule. This class is intended for all 7th graders and new 8th graders. There are 3 different session times available. Cost $80. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org.VCES Summer Day Camp Registration is online. Visit go.vcschools.org/daycamp to register for TK- 8th grade. Please remember to print, fill out and return all the forms to the elementary office or at daycare ASAP. We need to know the days that your child will be attending in order to staff field trips. Contact Rachel Robbins at email@example.com.
- Mrs. Davis' class will be going to the Los Angeles Aboretum Monday, 5/20
- 5th grade California Science Center trip on Wednesday, 5/22
- 6th grade Knott's Berry Farm trip on Wednesday, 5/22
Thank you to our morning parents that helped with traffic duty: Thanks to H.E. and Tamara Durbin, Jon Erickson, Liz Garcia, Kym Livesay and Jeff Rockenmacher for keeping the cars and buses safe.Summer Office Hours: We are in the office 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM until Friday, May 31, then Tuesdays, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM through Tuesday, July 23 (closed June 25). We are back 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM starting Monday, July 29.All fines must be paid before students may receive a Yearbook. There is no additional cost for a yearbook. It was included in your student's tuition.Please check our overflowing Lost and Found. It will be donated to Affordable Treasures on Friday, 5/24.8th Graders:
Last day of school for 7th grade only - Thursday, May 23 - 7th graders ONLY are dismissed at 11:30 AM. Bus service will run at 11:30 AM.VCMS Orientation & Study Skills Camp is 7/29 – 8/2. Sign up for a summer class that will help your student discover the best ways to succeed through organization, time management, study strategies, and much more. This orientation is a great place to learn more about VCMS and meet new people before the year even begins. Students will master opening their locker and even get their schedule. This class is intended for all 7th graders and new 8th graders. There are 3 different session times available. Cost $80. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org. You can print the registration form here.8th Grade Parents - Mark your calendars for the 2019-20 school year - the first day of school at VCHS will be Monday, 8/12. This orientation day will be for all Freshmen and new students only and will be a half day!
- Tuesday, 5/21 - 8th Grade Picnic - Please have your student pack a sack lunch that day.
- Wednesday, 5/22 is a half day for 8th graders ONLY with dismissal at noon. There is no bus service at noon that day so parents must pick their 8th grader at that time.
- 8th Grade Graduation will be at Calvary Baptist Church located at 14722 Clark Avenue in Bellflower on Wednesday, 5/22 at 7:00 PM. Doors open at 6:30 PM to ticket holders and 6:50 PM for those without tickets. Graduates must be at the church no later than 6:30 PM. There is no school after this for 8th graders.
LOST AND FOUND - If your student lost it, remind them to try to find it in the High School Lost and Found! The Lost and Found is overflowing! Items will be packed up and brought to Affordable Treasures during exam week.All students in P.E. please have your lockers cleaned out by Wednesday, 5/22. Items left behind will be donated or thrown away.If your child has medication or an inhaler in the office, please remember to pick it up before summer break. We will dispose of anything left.Seniors or Senior Parents - if you have not done so already, stop by the office any time during exam week to pick up your caps, gowns, and graduation tickets.Graduation Information - a copy of the information sent to Senior parents can be found at www.vschools.org/hsresources under “Forms”.Seniors are required to be at school on Thursday, 5/23 at 8:15 AM to attend Graduation rehearsal. They will return to campus at approximately 11:30 AM.VCHS Exams are May 20-22. Some reminders about Exam Week:
Summer Office Hours: The High School office will be open during the summer from 8:00 AM- 1:00 PM, Mondays-Thursdays.Mark your calendars!
- Students should arrive on campus before 8:30 AM, or between 10:00-10:30 AM. While on campus, students will be required to be in a testing room or remain in the Library for the duration of the testing period. If a student does not have an exam, he or she is not required to be on campus.
- VCHS students are not allowed to visit other campuses until 2:45 PM.
- Students can view the exam schedule on Canvas, and parents can view the schedule at www.vcschools.org/hsresources.
- The Canteen will be closed during exams. Only vending machines will be available to purchase food.
- Buses will run at regular times (8:05 AM morning drop off, 2:45 PM afternoon departure).
- The Library will be open until 3:00 PM, Monday-Wednesday.
- During the exam blocks (8:30-10:00 AM and 10:30 AM -12:00 PM) students may not enter or leave campus.
- Uniforms must be worn during finals or students will not be allowed to take final exams.
- There is no school for High School students on Thursday, 5/23.
- School photos, text-book pick-up, and the polos and used uniform sales will be taking place on Monday, 8/5 from 5:00-8:00 PM and Tuesday, 8/6 from 9:00 AM - noon. More details will be mailed and emailed throughout the summer.
- 2019-2020 School Year - The first day of school for all freshmen and any new sophomores-seniors is Monday, 8/12. This will be a half day of school! The first day of school for everyone else will be Tuesday, 8/13, and it will be a full day.
Affordable Treasures Thrift Store now has a truck to come and pick up your donations. Please call the store at 562-866-0060 and speak with Ashlee Brewer to schedule a pick up! They also have a blue bin located in front of Building B at Valley Christian High School for clothing and shoes donations.
2019 football/cheer season will starts 7/8 for the Greater Bellflower Youth Sports Ages 5-13. We are having sign-ups 5/18, 5/19, 5/25 and 5/26 from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM. Click here for more details.Bethany Christian Reformed Church in Bellflower has job opening for a part-time Children's Ministries Director. Further information can be found at Bethany's website at www.bethanycrc.org.For more news and announcements see our News page.To subscribe or unsubscribe from the weekly email distribution, please contact VCNews@vcschools.org.
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015