Valley Christian Weekly News
August 15, 2017 Issue 1Posted by Kelsey DeVries at 8/15/2017 3:00:00 PM
2017-2018 Theme Verse: "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love." 1 Corinthians 16:13 - 14Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! August 14 feels early to be starting school, especially at Valley Christian, but even if the start of school has come quickly, our faculty and staff are ready and excited for the 2017-18 school to begin. We hope you are as well. Collectively, we at VCS count it a privilege to serve your students and you -- our families. We’re delighted you’re here and know this will be a great school year.Ron Taylor,SuperintendentPlease read the VC Weekly each Monday to stay informed of current school events and news. Each Monday, highlights from the VC Weekly will be emailed to all families, and the full version will be posted in the News section of www.vcschools.org.
The Board of Directors welcomes you to attend their open meetings! The first will be held on Thurs, 8/31 at 7:00 pm in the Verhoeven College & Career Center. Come learn what the school has planned, and let the Board know what you'd like to see!
- Many candy donations are needed! Families willing to donate specific types of candy and soda may contact email@example.com to donate.
- Vendor's Row: Do you create hand-crafted items, own a business, or are a consultant for a direct-sale company? Please consider registering for Vendor's Row! 10'x10' booth rentals are available for just $30, and we have tables available for rent. For more information or for an application, please email the coordinator, Amy Payton, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Picture Days are Tuesday, 9/12 & Wednesday, 9/13 from 9 to 10:30 am.
Back to School Night is Thursday, 8/24 at 6:30 pm with a repeat session at 7:15 pm. Parents of students in Band or Orchestra may meet with the music teachers between sessions, at either 6:15 or 7:50 pm. Mark your calendar and plan to attend this informative evening. Please note this evening is for parents only; childcare is not provided.
- Parents who would like to walk their child to the classroom this week, please park North of the office. You may not park on Grand Ave by the parent or bus lots, as this obstructs vision and creates a safety concern for students, parents, and bus drivers. Beginning 8/28, students will walk to their classrooms without parents. One of our goals is to encourage independence.
- Parents may drop off children in the drive through/drop off parking lot. You may not park in the drive through/drop off lot.
- Tuesdays are street sweeping days.
Back to School Night is Tuesday, 8/22 at 7:00 p.m. Come meet the teachers and walk in the footsteps of your student.
- 6:30-7:00 Tech Time: iPad Help Desk available in the library. Feel free to check in with the tech team to be sure your child's iPad is set up and running properly!
- 6:30-7:00 Sports Meeting: A mandatory parent meeting for all middle school cheer, football, and girls basketball players will be held in the chapel.
- 7:00-7:20 General Session with the principal will be held in the chapel.
- 7:20-8:30 Class walkthrough: Please bring a copy of your student's schedule and you can walk through their morning schedule and meet the teachers.
- 8:30-9:00 Tech Time: Highly recommended for new families! We will be available to help parents set up their Canvas and PowerSchool accounts. PowerSchool manages grades, schedules, announcements and more. Canvas is our online classroom, and allows students & parents to stay up-to-date with daily course work.
The High School Staff asks you to join us in a warm welcome to the following faculty and staff who are new or in changing roles this year:
- Sarah Connell, High School Orchestra Director
- Dan Davis, Choral Director
- Jackie Flietstra, Freshman Health Teacher
- Lynelle Glonchak, Academic Support Center
- Kim Looney, Girls PE
- Julie Ormsbee, Counselor
- Jim Parsons, IOS APP Development Course teacher and Library Tech Help Desk Station
- Anthony Roldan, Boys PE
- Olga Stavro, Oversight of Academic Support
- Mary Struckmeier, High School Interim Band Director
- Kwesi (Kue) Thomas, Choir Accompanist, Jazz Band, and Guitar
- Mike Wunderley, Part Time Assistant Principal: discipline and facilities
Wednesday, 8/16 is a 2:45 dismissal, instead of the usual High School Wednesday dismissal at 2:15.
- PowerSchool and Tech questions from 6:30 - 7:00 in the library.
- Wilderness Challenge meeting at 6:30 in the chapel.
- Student Service Learning Program at 8:50 in the chapel.
- Cross Country Parent Meeting from 8:50-9:00 in the music room.
Song Studio Voice Lessons are available to students preparing for college scholarshios, voice auditions, and those who want to improve their singing. Special rates are offered for VCS students. Please contact Mr. Goedhart at email@example.com or 562-860-0556x234.
- We need mentors with skills in business, computers, engineering, and keeping kids safe! Parents and grandparents interested in mentoring Robotics students should contact Carol DeBoer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 562-243-2721 or join us at the Information Meeting on Thursday, 8/31.
- Dordt College, Thurs 8/17 (providing lunch & trip details)
- Calvin College, Tues 8/29
- Dartmouth, Thurs 9/7
- John Hopkins, Fri 9/8
- Boston University, Mon 10/2
- Dordt College, Tues 10/3
- TCU, Mon 10/16
All K-12 students will be admitted free to all VCHS home games (excluding CIF playoffs) for the 2017-18 VCHS athletic season. Our players and coaches have been working hard all summer and would love to have your support. We look forward to seeing you at the games.
For more news and announcements see our News page.To subscribe or unsubscribe from the weekly email distribution, please contact VCNews@vcschools.org.Photo of the Week: Friends are glad to be back together starting a new year of school!