iPad Program Details
How do VC students use iPads?Students use iPads in and out of the classroom to do the following:
What classes/grades are participating in the 1:1 iPad Program?The program begins at our Middle School in 7th grade and continues until 12th grade. The middle school started the program in 2012 and high school followed in 2013.
- Learn applications and skills such as word processing, graphic design, art design, and PowerPoint/Keynote presentations
- Conduct research in real-time learning
- Participate in individualized enrichment and intervention programs
- Collaborate on projects with other students in class and across the globe
- Use the best of what technology has to offer, specific to each grade and subject area
Cost & Purchase Information
We encourage families to purchase their iPads through Valley Christian Schools. We can accommodate mid-year or early purchases for those who wish to buy an iPad as a birthday, Christmas, or graduation gift. VCS requires purchasing iPads through the school which provides several benefits to families:
Can I use an iPad I already have? Although it is not required, we highly recommend you purchase the iPad through the school.If you plan to bring your own iPad please note:
- iPads purchased through VCS are pre-configured from Apple making the setup process more efficient.
- VC iPads receive secure management and protection through Apple's Device Enrollment Program.
- iPads purchased through VCS have the option of receiving two to four years of AppleCare Plus protection at a reduced cost. If purchased with bundled case, Apple will waive the $50 deductible per accidental damage claim (two incidents per year).
- VC will process all repairs or replacements in case of a break or any damage.
- If VC receives institutional discounts they are passed on to you.
- It must be a 6th Generation iPad or newer (for 2020-21 school year) - if you aren’t sure which model you have use this link to help determine your model.
- There is a $50 setup fee for bring your own iPad
- You will need to bring the iPad to Valley Christian Middle School by July 17, 2020 (or anytime before) to have the tech team prepare it. Prior to bringing the iPad please do the following on the iPad:
1. Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store:
If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.
2. Go back to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
3. If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].
- VC cannot process any repairs or replacements (even if you purchased a warranty). VC will provide a “loaner” iPad for five school days free of charge but then $5 per school day after the fifth day.
Why purchase the iPad from the school?
How much will it cost?See the iPad Pricing & Ordering page.Is insurance included in the cost?Yes. AppleCare+ insurance is included for all iPads purchased through the school.
- Better warranty - because of our relationship with Apple, iPads purchased through VC receive an extra year of AppleCare+ warranty. Also, if you purchase the new “bundle” Apple waives the $50 deductible for up to two accidental breaks per year. In other words, if your student breaks the iPad, Apple sends out a brand new replacement up to twice per year for three years at no cost.
- VC will process all repairs or replacements in case of a break or any damage. Many times we receive the brand new replacement iPad the very next day.
- VC receives institutional discounts on some models and those savings are always passed on to you.
Are there any financing options?We no longer offer a payment plan. You must pay upfront when you order the iPad by check or credit card.
- AppleCare+ covers three years of manufacturer warranty and accidental damage.
- This manufacturer warranty is extended to the charger and cable that was issued with the iPad.
Theft or loss is not covered.
- The warranty covers two incidents of accidental damage with a $50 service fee per incident.
- If you purchase the 2020 "bundle" from VC, Apple waives the $50 service fee for up to two incidents per year for three years.
- All iPads purchased through the school will be part of AppleCare+, an extended warranty and accidental damage program through Apple.
ContentWill the iPads be protected online (filtered)?While at school, home, Starbucks, or anywhere else your student uses wifi, all web traffic on your student's iPad will go through our VCS secure network and content filter.Of course, a content filter is no substitution for training children to flex their discernment muscles in the area of web browsing! We strive to educate and train kids how to browse in a responsible, Christ-honoring manner, and hope that you will also have conversations with your student about family values and expectations. These topics are covered in our Digital Citizenship curriculum.
How much control will the school have over the device?School apps and textbooks can be distributed automatically to student iPads. The school can also monitor which apps are installed by indivudual users in order to ensure adherence to school policy. Teachers will have the ability to control what apps are available for use during class. Additional controls include the ability to and remotely erase the iPad, reset restrictions, and remove the passcode. Through Powerschool, parents have the ability to approve additional apps that are not school related such as games and entertainment apps. There is also a parent app that provides even more parent control of the iPad when the student is away from school. Please contact the tech team if you are interested in this option.
Will all of the textbooks be on the iPads?Many of your student's textbooks will be on the iPad, but not all. In some cases it makes more sense for our students to use hard copies that the school already owns, or use a classroom set for assignments that do not require that the books are taken home. For many of the classes, though, we have both interactive textbooks and simple PDFs, again depending on the specific situation.
Device QuestionsDo I have to purchase a case?Cases are highly recommended but required.Do I have to purchase a separate keyboard and/or Apple Pencil?Separate devices are optional. Apple accesories are covered under warranty for one year but do not come with any accidental damage coverage.If a new model comes out after school starts, can my son or daughter use the new model instead?If you would like to purchase a new iPad at any point during the year, please complete the iPad order form here: www.vcschools.org/ipadorder. Please consult the technology team and realize that moving content to a new device can be time-consuming. Please remember that we do highly recommend all iPads be purchased through the school. As mentioned above, there is a $50 fee if you do not purchase the iPad from VCS.
How can I learn more?
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org