- Valley Christian Schools
- Valley Christian Weekly
Valley Christian Weekly News
May 22, 2023 Issue 36Posted by Leann Bakker on 5/22/2023 3:15:00 PM
2022-23 Theme Verse: "Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22: 37-39
Summer is right around the corner and we'd love for you to join us for a class or camp! We have a variety of opportunities for your students to explore their interests and learn new skills. With classes from sports to art to academic enrichment, you are sure to find something that they will enjoy! To check out all of our summer programs, please visit vcschools.org/campsVolunteers are needed for the 2023-2024 Book and iPad Distribution at the high school. Complete your parent and student service hours before the school year even starts. Monday, August 7th, and Tuesday, August 8th. Please Contact Mrs. Bomgaars, if you're interested, at email@example.com or 562-865-0281 x 240.Please make sure you check your Parent Power School Account regarding your 10 hours of Family Service. These hours need to be completed on or before the last day of school. Any incomplete hours will be billed to your Auto Debit in June. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.orgPrivate Voice Lessons: Mr. Goedhart is again offering voice lessons on the VCHS campus during the summer months to any student wanting to prepare for college music scholarships, learn how to develop their musical skills, and improve their confidence in singing. Contact Mr. Goedhart at email@example.com or 562-865-0281 for more information.Attention Graduates of 1987, 1988 and 1989. Mark your calendars for Saturday, September 16! We will be having a combined class reunion! Contact Leslie VanWeerthuizen De Vries for more information at 562-400-0286 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.Attention graduating Class of 1973: You are cordially welcomed to attend, participate, and walk in our ceremony joining our 2023 graduating class as our honored 50th anniversary guests on Thursday, May 25. Please let other classmates know about this opportunity. Contact Gene Bras email@example.com or Marlaina Goldine firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP or if you have any questions.HARVEST FESTIVAL COMMITTEE 2023 is looking for volunteers to help with our upcoming annual Harvest Festival on 10/13. We’re in need of a co-chair and a donations chair. Training provided and service hours will be completed. For more information or if you’d like to sign up, please email email@example.com.Director Needed: VCHS Fall Play '23 - We are looking for someone to launch and direct a high school play for Fall 2023. If you are interested or know someone that is, please contact Chris Becher: firstname.lastname@example.org.Job Openings: To see the full job description and apply, please visit www.vcschools.org and click on the Employment Opportunities tab. If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to Tracie Jones, email@example.com,
SCRIP SUMMER HOURS: Thursdays 8:00 to 10:00 AM. Orders may be dropped off at the business office Monday - Thursday.Summer office hours for the Business office: Monday-Thursday - 8:00AM- 3:00 PM
- Business Office full-time General Accountant
- Bus Driver - part-time
The staff would like to say a special thank you to all of our preschool parents for another wonderful school year! Thank you for entrusting us with your beautiful children each day as they grow in knowledge and the love of God. We pray that you have a wonderful summer!End of the school year class parties will be on Thursday, 5/25! Your child's teacher will provide more details.Last Day of School: Preschool will be half-day for all students on Thursday, 5/25. All children must be picked up at 11:45 AM.Summer Preschool: Begins on Monday, 6/5 at our Elementary School Campus. Please enter/exit through the parking lot, double doors and walk your child down to the TK/Kindergarten classrooms. We look forward to a fun and safe summer session.
The VCES teachers and staff would like to thank our families for all your support this year and to wish you a wonderful summer!Parent Parking - The second parking lot (parent lot) will be open for parking during school events/activities, i.e. field trips, on campus programs, etc. To access the campus, you will need to use the sidewalk on Grand Avenue and check in through the office before heading to the event/activity. This will limit parking in front of our neighbors' homes and provide more safety for our students.Summer office hours for the Elementary office:
Interested in becoming a Room Parent or Grade Chair for the 2023-2024 school year? Let the Parents Association know by taking this survey: https://forms.gle/kv9GgJWN4S5o9WcH8Sports Day Volunteers: Please meet at the high school football field on Tuesday, 5/23 at 8:15 AM to get your assignment for the day. Lunch and drinks are provided. You may want to bring a lawn chair if you don’t like sitting on the grass. The day should be over by 1:30 PM. Thanks again for helping make this day a success for our elementary students. Questions - email Jon Slager at firstname.lastname@example.org Grade Promotion on Wednesday, 5/24 - 1:00 - 1:40 PM: The Sixth Grade Blessing ceremony to celebrate the students that will be moving on to middle school will take place on the high school football field. 17700 Dumont Ave, Cerritos, CA 90703. 6th grade students will not have school on 5/25.The last day of school is Thursday, 5/25 with dismissal at 11:30 AM. Buses will run at 11:30 AM.Students may wear free dress on the last day of school, 5/25.Baseball Lessons with Mr. Newman - This summer, VCES teacher Mr. Newman will be offering both private and group baseball lessons for ages 6-14. Your child will work on their hitting, catching, fielding, and throwing in either half-hour or hour-long sessions. Mr. Newman is a former college baseball player and an experienced coach. For more information or to book a lesson, please contact Mr. Newman at email@example.com or (562)774-7771.Summer Day Camp - Adventure Crew 2023: Register early for Summer Day Camp (Kindergarten - 8th grade). After May 22nd, the registration fee will increase to $75.00. Please use the link to register: home.vcschools.org/daycamp. Once you've paid for the registration, you will receive an email with a link to complete additional forms. Any questions, please reach out to the Daycare Director Rachel Robbins at 562-920-9902 ext.120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.VCES Yearbooks were sent home with students last week. Every student receives a yearbook.LOST AND FOUND - Anything left in Lost and Found will be donated to Affordable Treasures 5/31. Please have your child check for any missing items. We have many jackets and other clothing items in our Lost and Found.Important dates this month:
- May 26 - 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
- May 30-June 2 - 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
- June 5-9 - 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
- We will be checking messages and emails throughout the summer and return on July 24th.
- 5/23 - Sports Day - TK/K elementary campus, 1st-6th high school campus
- 5/24 - 5th grade - California Science Center
- 5/24 - TK/K - Kidz Town
- 5/24 - 6th grade - Sixth Grade Blessing ceremony, 1:00-1:40 PM on the high school football field.
- 5/25 - 5th grade - Sky Zone
Thank you to our parents in the morning that helped with traffic duty. Thanks to Josh Case and Linda Kawaguchi for keeping the cars and buses safe.All campus fines must be paid before students may receive a Yearbook. There is no additional cost for a yearbook. It was included in your student's tuition.Is your student missing some of his/her belongings? Please come in and check our Lost and Found. All unclaimed items will be donated to Affordable Treasures on Wednesday, 5/31.7th Grade Parents:
Coming up at VCMS:
- Donations are needed for the Ice Cream Sundae Bar following the 7th grade talent show, on May 23rd. If you would like to help, please use the following link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A094FAAAC23A1FD0-talent
- The 7th grade class has the privilege of providing treats following the 8th Grade Graduation to honor the graduating class and their families. We are in need of supplies. If you would like to help, use the following link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A094FAAAC23A1FD0-donations.
- We are also in need of monetary donations to purchase the treats. If you would like to make a monetary donation to help make it a special night, please send an envelope marked “8th Grade Graduation Reception” on it to the Middle School Office. We are also accepting Venmo donations @Jen-Oakes-2 with “8th Grade Graduation Reception” in the subject line.
Summer office hours for the Middle School office:
- May 22 - Regular school day
- May 23 - 8th grade picnic at Liberty Park
- May 23 - 7th grade talent show
- May 24 - 8th grade graduation rehearsal 8:15 AM - 10:30 AM (Parents- please pick up at the middle school at 10:30 AM - 8th graders will be dismissed at this time.)
- May 24 - 8th grade graduation at VCHS Defender Stadium @ 7:00 PM (Graduates need to arrive by 6:30 PM).
- May 25 - Last day of school for 7th grade (out at 11:30 AM). *8th grade does not have school on this day.
- Additional information for all of these events has been sent home via email. Please contact your student(s) advisement teacher or the middle school office with any questions.
8th Grade Parents - mark your calendars with these important dates for fall:
- May 26 - Open 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- May 29 - June 1 - Open 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- June 5 - July 25 - Open on Tuesdays from 9:00 AM - 1:00PM
- July 31 - Aug 3 - Open 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Aug 7 - Aug 10 - Open 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Aug 14 - Regular office hours resume (Mon - Fri, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
- If you have any office needs outside of those hours please email us at email@example.com. We will be checking our email regularly and will do our best to respond in a timely manner.
- VCHS Check-In Days - Monday OR Tuesday, 8/7 or 8/8 - you pick a day to come in for school photos, book order pick up, buy VC Swag at the Spirit Store, iPad pick up, and more! Monday, 4:00-8:00 PM, Tuesday, 9:00 AM -1:00 PM
- New Student Orientation Day - Monday, 8/14, 8:15-11:00 AM - Orientation Day for all 9th graders
- First Day of School - Tuesday, 8/15 will be the first full day of school for all students
Senior Parents - See your email for more details about the following events. This week at a glance:
Director Needed: VCHS Fall Play '23 - We are looking for someone to launch and direct a high school play for Fall 2023. If you are interested or know someone that is, please contact Chris Becher: firstname.lastname@example.org.VCHS Exams are May 22-24. Some reminders about Exam Week:
- Monday, 5/22 - Senior Blessing at BellOne Christian Reformed Church
- Tuesday, 5/23 - Senior Snapshot at VCHS football field
- Thursday, 5/25 - Graduation rehearsal in the morning, graduation ceremony in the evening, Grad Night following the ceremony
The VCHS Commencement Ceremony will be held on Thursday, 5/25, 7:00 PM at Cottonwood Church in Los Alamitos. Entrance is by ticket only. The ceremony will be livestreamed at VCHS Graduation Livestream Link - this link will become live twelve hours prior to the graduation ceremony.Summer Classes for 8th - 12th graders brought to you by Epic Robotz: EPIC Robotz will be hosting a Summer computer aided design (CAD) class for students entering grades 8-12 next year. There will be three CAD classes using Solidworks software: Intro to CAD, for students with little to no CAD experience, CAD level 2, for students that have taken the intro course or already have experience with CAD and advanced CAD with CNC which will give students the opportunity to design and manufacture the parts they have designed using the CNC machines. Intro to CAD and CAD 2 are $175.00 for each session. Advanced CAD with CNC is $250.00. Students taking a summer CAD class will receive a $50 discount off of their fall robotics tuition. Please contact Valerie Jasper at email@example.com for any questions regarding the classes. Sign up at http://go.vcschools.org/techcamps Space is limited to 8 students per session, so sign up soon! Intro to CAD Monday, June 12- Thursday, June 15 2:00 - 5:00 PM CAD Level 2 Monday, June 19- Thursday, June 22 2:00 - 5:00 PM Advanced CAD with CNC June Monday 26-Thursday June 29 12:00 - 5:00 PMEPIC Robotz will also be offering a summer media class. This class will cover photography, editing and storyboarding to create exciting videos for promotion or social media. The cost of this class is $175.00 and participants will receive a $50 discount towards their fall robotics tuition. The class will be every Tuesday and Thursday, July 11-Aug 1, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM. EPIC Media Class: July 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27, Aug 1 9:00 AM-12:00 PMVCHS Summer Office Hours: Starting on the day after Memorial Day, the high school office will be open Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM-1:00 PM for the entire summer. Please feel free to contact the high school office at 562-865-0281, ext. 226 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Important fall dates:
- The exam schedule is posted on the High School Student page in Canvas and at www.vcschools.org/hsresources
- Attendance during exam week: Please DO NOT schedule appointments between 8:00 AM-Noon during exam week. If your child is too sick to take exams, contact the Attendance Desk at 562-865-0281, ext. 227 or by emailing email@example.com.
- Students should arrive on campus before 8:30 AM, or between 10:00-10:30 AM (depending on their exam schedule). While on campus, students who are not taking exams will be required to be in a testing room or remain in the library for the duration of the testing period. If a student does not have an exam, he or she is not required to be on campus.
- VCHS students are not allowed to visit other campuses until 2:45 PM.
- The canteen will be open from 8:00-8:30 AM and 10:00-10:30 AM on Monday-Wednesday.
- Buses will run at regular times (8:00 AM drop off, 2:45 PM departure) on Monday-Wednesday.
- The library will be open until 2:30 PM, Monday-Wednesday.
- During the exam blocks (8:30-10:00 AM and 10:30 AM-12:00 PM) students may not enter or leave campus.
- Uniforms must be worn during finals or students will not be allowed to take final exams.
- There is no school for high school students on Thursday, 5/25 (even though there is a half day for elementary students and 7th graders).
Counselor's Corner:The counselors met with the junior class on Tuesday during lunch to discuss a few important topics related to preparing for senior year and college applications. An email was sent to all juniors and their parents with a PDF of the presentation on May 17th. Reach out to your student's counselor if you have any questions!Summer School: Planning to do summer school to remediate a grade or get ahead? Please fill out the following google form to let your counselor know of your intent and get approved! https://forms.gle/BwzpEum9FLwdnZay5
- VCHS Check-In Days - Monday OR Tuesday, 8/7 or 8/8 - you pick a day to come in for school photos, book order pick up, buy VC Swag at the Spirit Store, iPad pick up, and more! Monday - 4:00 - 8:00 PM, Tuesday - 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- New Student Orientation Day - Monday, 8/14, 8:15-11:00 AM - Orientation Day for all 9th graders and new high school students
- First Day of School - Tuesday, 8/15 will be the first full day of school for all students
For a schedule of upcoming athletic events at each campus, please refer to the campus-specific athletic calendars online at the athletics website: www.vcathletics.net
Affordable Treasures Thrift Store - Call our store 562-866-0060 or schedule a pick-up on our website affordabletreasuresthrift.org.
First Steps Christian Preschool has DIRECTOR, TEACHER, and AIDE positions available immediately. The applicants must have a passion for young children and love for the Lord. If interested and for more information, please contact Michele De Boer at firstname.lastname@example.orgFor more news and announcements, see our News page.To subscribe to the weekly email distribution, please contact VCNews@vcschools.org. To unsubscribe use the link below.
- May 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- February 2023
- January 2023
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015